Today, I will introduce you to transcription, a little known, yet extremely useful service.
Throughout this article, I will explain the basics of transcription and will elaborate on the various types of transcription services as well as their existing fields of application and how they can be of use to you.
What is transcription?
There are 2 types of transcription:
– Audio and video transcription services:
Also known as “dictatyping”, audio/ video “transcription” is a technique which simply involves the conversion of audio or video recordings to text; i.e. from mp3 or Wma to Txt or Doc. format.
Transcription is, therefore, a specific area of activity which requires a lot of concentration and thoroughness from the transcriptionist.
– Digital transcription services:
This type of transcription involves the recreation, in the format of your choice (Word, Excel, etc.), of any PDF document; where, for example, the original version is lost or also handwritten documents that you wish to digitise. Digital transcription is mostly useful for archiving and the digitisation of old or scanned documents.
What is the purpose of transcription?
One is often inclined to think that transcription is a waste of time – quite the contrary; it is of crucial importance, even more so in an era where technologies have been brought to a whole new level.
There are so many reasons for professionals to have recourse to audio/ video or digital transcription services:
- Keeping of minutes for later distribution to participants.
- Archiving, proofreading and printing purposes.
- Keeping a written record of meetings, conferences, seminars, etc.
- Preparing reports or summaries of your meetings
- Making your meetings, interviews, seminars, videos and advertising campaigns accessible to all.
What type of transcription does QuickPro Translations specialise in?
At QuickPro Translations, our transcriptionists are experienced, meticulous and have an eye for detail. They specialise in the following fields:
- Medical: we are experts in the transcription of medical imaging such as: x-rays, ultrasonography, scans, MRI, mammography and much more. Click here for more information.
- Audiovisual: our audiovisual transcription department has several functions: creating baseline translations of subtitles or the dubbing of a movie, series or animated movie, as well making videos accessible for the blind and or hard of hearing. Click here for more information.
- Corporate: we transcribe audio and or video material of conferences, business meetings, debates, congresses, seminars, interviews, etc. Click here for more information.
- Digital: a process we offer that involves the recreation/digitisation of PDF or handwritten documents into the format of your choice (Word, Excel, etc.). Click here for more information.
As there is so much information about this little-known but very useful service, I feel obliged to write more articles on the subject to further elaborate. The next article will focus on medical transcription which is, in fact, one of our core services, just after translation.
At QuickPro Translations in Mauritius, our team of typists adapt to the specifications of each client and place great importance to meeting their requirements. Do not hesitate to contact us via our contact page or directly by sending an email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, we’ll be happy to assist you.